This week, Denise spoke with Anna Mowat, content creator for Sparklers and they discussed strategies for people looking after young children including:
- Look after yourself – that means lowering the bar – expect less of yourself and others during this time. And forgive your mistakes.
- Emotions may run high –do what keeps you and your children calm. The goal is calm, not high achievement
- Learn together – find something that interests you as well as the children and try it out together. Be prepared to learn from your children.
- What strengths will help you? Think about the strengths of the people in your bubble and your environment. You have strengths to draw on
- Let go of screentime battles. Let it go. This is a temporary situation.
- Create a DIY Planner. Routine will be your friend – especially when your children have helped create it. Use Sparklers at Home to create a planner that needs no printer. Just a few crayons or pens.
You can watch a brief summary video here.
Remember to go to Sparklers at Home for practical and easy to use resources and support for parents https://sparklers.org.nz/parenting/